Let’s start from the beginning… there are two types of computer mice; the first is a mechanical mouse and the second is an optical mouse. The mechanical mouse uses a metal or rubber ball and rollers or sensors, while the optical mouse uses an LED light to detect movements. Both mice connect to your desktop via a standard cord, USB port, or are wireless.
Same as with your keyboard, phone, and laptop, it is very important to keep either type of mouse free of dust, dirt, debris, hair, pet hair, crumbs, etc. When a mechanical or optical mouse gets dirty, the pointer’s movement may be sporadic or stick on one position, making it difficult to get the pointer where you want it to go. If you are prepared, cleaning either type of mouse is very easy.
The following steps will teach you how to clean your computer mouse in 5 minutes or less:
- The first step when cleaning your mouse is to unplug it or turn it off if it is wireless.
- On a mechanical mouse, turn the mouse over and remove the piece that covers the ball. (If are you cleaning an optical mouse, skip to step #6)
- Take the ball out and remove all the dust, dirt, and debris using a soft cloth.
- Then using a Q-tip, your fingernail, or other small object, remove the dust, dirt, and debris from the rollers or sensors.
- Put the ball back and then the cover.
- On an optical mouse, use a damp cloth to gently remove the dust, dirt, and debris from the pads on the bottom of the mouse.
- Remember to never spray the mouse directly with any fluid.
- Wipe the clean area with a dry cloth.
- Plug your mouse back in or turn it back on and click away dirt-free!
How often you have to clean your computer mouse will depend on your working environment. If you are in a typical office setting, you may only need to do it every couple of months. If you are at home with pets and/or kids, you may need to clean the mouse once a month. Likewise, summer is coming to an end, which means flu season is right around the corner. To avoid the spread of germs during peak flu season from November to April, be sure to consistently wash your hands and clean your mouse, keyboard, phone, and laptop once a week.
Do you have any tips to add? Feel free to leave a comment!
VP Shoes offers great shoe designs and brands for the whole family, from Ugg Boots (including Ugg Classic Short) to New Balance, from North Face Denali to Women's Dansko Shoes. VP Shoes offers a fantastic reward program to help you save even more on your shoes.